Accessibilty: Site Navigation

Accessibilty: Site Presentation

Left Sidebar

The following content is part of the left side-content panel.

Main Content

The following content is the main page content.

Local Services and Support Groups

contacts for Support Groups at bottom of page

Guideposts - advice, information and emotional support for all carers.  Contact 02476 385888 for information about groups or one-to-one support.  Support workers can visit you at home to discuss what options there are for you and help you with applications for benefits etc. 

A Who’s Who of Help - a quick reference to professionals who can provide support.



Your local health authority 

  • Your GP can refer you to the following hospital and community services.

 Hospital services

  • A psychiatrist – medical doctor specialising in mental illness for any age group.
  • A neurologist – specialist in diseases of the brain and nervous system.
  • A geriatrician – specialist in diseases of older people.
  • A clinical psychologist – specialist in mental and behavioural functions of the brain.
  • An old age psychiatrist (used to be called psycho-geriatrician) – specialist in mental health illness among older people.

  Community services 

  • A district nurse provides nursing care at home.
  • A health visitor provides general health advice at home (you can ask to see one for yourself at your local health centre or clinic).
  • A community psychiatric nurse provides nursing care for mentally ill people at home.  Sometimes there are aids for practical care.
  • A continence adviser offers advice about the management of incontinence.
  • A chiropodist provides foot care.
  • An annual health check offered by the general practice to look at the needs of people over 75.

  Social services 

  • A social worker – assesses and plans the support needed by people at home.  They will either arrange the support package or organise a direct or indirect payment.
  • A care manager – usually a social worker but may be someone like a district nurse, an occupational therapist or someone from a home care organisation performing the same role.
  • An occupational therapist – provides rehabilitation at home using daily activities.

This information has been extracted from the "Who Cares?" booklet from the Department of Health (2007). The booklet can be ordered on line or telephone 08701 555455.

back to top of page 

Being prepared for a visit to the GP surgery is so important.  It can be useful to let the receptionist know that you are a carer.  It will give the GP an opportunity to consider how your medical condition may be related to your role as a carer.  Medical conditions could be made worse by incorrect lifting of the person, or if you are not taking proper care of yourself, ie. not eating or sleeping well; something that some carers do without knowing.  It can also be helpful to write a list of questions you need to ask and take it with you to your appointment.  Jotting down questions or concerns as they occur to you will mean that you don't forget to mention potentially crucial things when you get to see your doctor.

If you have concerns about your memory and you visit your GP,he or she may refer you to a memory clinic at your local hospital.  Here you will be seen by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist or possibly both. A series of short tests are used to assess different aspects of your memory and you may be offered some scans which can show up abnormalities within the brain or confirm that the brain is healthy.  After these tests are completed you will be invited back for a follow up appointment when your doctors can discuss their diagnosis and any appropriate treatments they suggest.  Your GP will be informed of any diagnosis.


Patient Advice and Liaison Service

was introduced to ensure that the National Health Service listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends and answers their questions and resolves their concerns as quickly as possible.

  • Provides information about the NHS
  • Provides local information about agencies and support outside the NHS
  • Listens to concerns and suggestions


Local contacts for PALS

Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust

Phone: 02476 348985
George Eliot Hospital
Phone: 02476 865550
Freephone: 08000407194

South Warwickshire General Hospitals

Phone: 01926 600054

Rugby PCT

Phone: 01788 550860
Freephone: 0800 5872546

South Warwickshire PCT

Phone: 01926 493491

University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust

Freephone: 0800 0284203

Admiral Nurses

Admiral Nurses are skilled and experienced nurses who specialise in dementia.  They can offer; information on the nature of the illness and what services are available; practical advice to help you cope; help to deal with your feelings and emotions. The Admiral Nursing Service is supported by for dementia, a national charity whose aim is to work in partnership with the NHS. This is a free service for family carers available in north Warwickshire.  Contact 02476 321520.

Local Support Groups In your role as a carer it is essential that you have the support of the professionals but it is also very helpful to have the support of other carers, people who are in the same boat as you, can perhaps offer advice and most importantly be there to listen. Carers’ Support Groups are always great places to meet up, socialise and relax with friends. Most carer support groups are exclusively for the carers, although there may be social activities when the cared for are made very welcome. This may be a chance for the person you care for to be among people who understand.

Some meetings may have a guest speaker, who can perhaps offer information about a particular aspect of being a carer; finances, respite care or practical help. These groups can often become a lifeline, contact your nearest group today and find out how they can help you. You can get involved as much or as little as you choose.

These carers’ support groups are not just for carers of people with dementia but also for a range of mental health and learning disabilities.

Bedworth Carers

  • The Bedworth Carers meet on the first Wednesday of every month at the Citizen's Advice Bureau.  1.30pm - 3.30pm.  Contact Will Roe on 02476 491383 or Gordon Nash on 02476 758200 for more details.

Bridgeway LD Carers

Rugby Carers

  • This group meets on Wednesdays at various venues for meals and mutual support.  For details and meeting times contact Mollie Toye on 02476 385888 or Jenny Hicks on 01788 543180.

Rethink Support Group

  • For information about local meetings call 01827 715730.

Stockingford Carers

  • The Stockingford Carers meet up on the first Thursday of the month at St. Paul's Parish Centre, Church Road, Stockingford.  1.30pm - 3.30pm.  Contact Muriel Bromage 02476 392708.

Alzheimer's Cafés

  • These are open to people at various venues across the county.  Contact the Warwickshire branch for information.

South Warwickshire Carers' Support Service

  • Provide a list of local support groups and regular drop-ins.  Contact 01926 485486

Phoenix Post Diagnosis Support Group

  • Phoenix works with carers and people with dementia who live in the north of Warwickshire.  It provides practical support which includes respite and emotional support for carers and people with dementia.  To contact the group telephone 07989 614749 or email

Asian Phoenix - Supporting People with Dementia and their Carers

  • Asian Phoenix works with carers and people with dementia who live in the north of Warwickshire.  It provides practical support which includes respite and emotional support for carers and people with dementia.  To contact the group telephone 02476 374434 or e-mail

back to top of page